Peacocks and Frogs
Peacocks and frogs.
Princes and pickles.
Gingham and mustard and giggles and tickles.
Onions and daisies
and raindrops and stars
Cheap wine and fine wine and love sold in jars.
Danielle Steel (1982)
There are so many lovely little poems in this small paperback book of Ms Steel’s. I recently discovered this book in my collection while looking for items to de-clutter from the bookshelf and cupboards.
So before you ask the question, yes it was a long drawn out process (sorting books) … well I had to read all the books again … did I not?
Also, I want to share snippets of them with you. So this little gem goes back on the book shelf along with some of my other book companions:
- Facey, A B. A fortunate Life, 2005. (first published 1981)
- Carnegie, Dale. How to Stop Worrying and Start Living, 1982. (first published 1948)
- Gruen, Sara. Water for Elephants, 2006. (now a successful movie)
- Anderson, Joan. A Year by the Sea. 1999 (a narrative non-fiction and personal reflection piece, 195pp)
- Kata, Elizabeth. A Patch of Blue. 1961.
- Brooks, Geraldine. Year of Wonders, 2001. (a historical novel set in 1666)
- Porter, Eleanor H. Pollyanna Grows Up, date unknown.
- Defoe, Daniel. Robinson Crusoe, 1963.
- Wyss, Johann. The Swiss Family Robinson, 1963.
The Defoe and Wyss novels are printed in a companion edition published by Grosset & Dunlap. It is such a delight to revisit some of these well-loved and classic novels.
In the words of Dale Carnegie, “our mental attitude is the X factor that determines our fate”!